Wednesday, June 13, 2012

blues and grey areas


I tell myself don't write
letters I can not send.
She's not in the market
for servants or slaves.
I don't even know what
she might want in a friend.
It would take alchemy
to make something of this
that will never be.
So I have to help
my hapless heart behave.
I have no place to speculate:
One can't caress treasure
encased in glass.
So my emotions must be
stillborn and sedate.
Yet the soul will be quenched,
I believe, by and by,
even when rain
that falls from the sky
is swallowed by the soil
while the lips remain dry.


[who is reading? please feel feel to comment constructively.] 

2 comments:

  1. conundrum for the hopeful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps. The hopeful or the hopeless. I'm reminded of the Leiber and Stoller lyric - "like a one eyed cat peeking in a seafood store". I once wrote a short story about a man who falls in romantic love with a painting. I have been meaning to rewrite and post it on Slouching towards Istanbul, my humor blog.
      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete