Wednesday, November 9, 2011

call and response


The day I noticed you
quietly blooming;
the waves of your hair
surrounding your face
like sweet chocolate frosting
on angel cake.
with eyes – deep
dark, semi sweet 
Was I not instantly consumed?


The awkward kiss I placed upon
your pale, dry mouth
was my everlasting first
and though I vainly tried 
appearing self assured
Couldn’t it be seen
I was a sand pail castle
holding back the ocean tide?

Did you fear your heart too fragile to share?
Or was I not the one you trusted with its care?
if you meant to keep it hidden
why let me go on thinking
it was something I had won?

The day we said goodbye
and you asked why I was crying,
I turned away and shook my head
and leaned against the wall.

Knowing so little it seems
I thought I held some claim
until you slipped so far from reach
and I lost all frame of reference.

The Only Child won’t
come to you for shelter;
she dances solo in the storm,
the lightning and the rain
then charges you admission
to the play. 

The day we said goodbye
and you asked why I was crying,
I couldn’t fully grasp it was
because your eyes were dry.




[who is reading? please feel feel to comment constructively.] 

No comments:

Post a Comment